Confessions of a Murder Suspect

Confessions of a Murder Suspect - Maxine Paetro, James Patterson

Tandy is a member of the Angel family, a very rich family with quite a few secrets. When her parents are discovered dead, Tandy and her brothers are the police’s prime suspects. And Tandy’s not sure they are wrong. Her parents expected perfection from their children, and their methods ensured that none of the children would be normal by any means. But does that mean that one of them is a murderer?

Tandy narrates the story and speaks as if she is talking directly to the reader. While this style may not be for everyone, I thought it worked rather well for drawing me into the story. The only irritating part about it was when Tandy would mention something, but then would say she couldn’t talk about that just then. That happened repeatedly throughout the story and had me wanting her to just spit it out. It bothered me less the further I got into the story, but it was very irritating at the start.

The Angel siblings and the secrets of their family were pretty wild, but fun to read about. You have the athletic (and sociopathic) eldest brother, the twins—an overemotional musician brother and unemotional genius sister, and the violent and fearless youngest brother. They were all ridiculously accomplished. And the parenting methods were quite unique in their outlandishness. Waiting to see what wild detail about their family would be revealed next was a lot of the fun for me.

The answer to mystery of the Angel parents’ killer was something I guessed fairly early on, although I definitely did not guess how it was revealed. The solution was a bit of a letdown after all the buildup, but I also didn’t mind too much.

Confessions of a Murder Suspect went by very quickly. The chapters were short, and the pace was quick. The book never had a chance to drag or get boring and was entertaining the whole way through.