My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories - Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black, Myra McEntire, Kiersten White, Stephanie Perkins, Laini Taylor, Gayle Forman, Matt de la Pena, Jenny Han, Ally Carter, Kelly Link, David Levithan

My True Love Gave to Me is an anthology of winter holiday stories. Most of the stories feature Christmas as the holiday, although a couple tried to be a bit different. There was a bit of diversity in several of the stories too, which was nice. Most of the stories were cute and fun to read, although there were a few that didn’t do it for me. Luckily, I liked more of them than I didn’t.

Midnights by Rainbow Rowell

This was a cute story about the New Year’s Eve party that Maggie went to over the years where she met the boy who would become her best friend after helping him after an allergic reaction. They were a fun pair, and I liked seeing how their relationship changed each year. 5/5

The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link

This was a strange story that also spanned the years where a girl fell for a guy who was trapped by a spell where he didn’t age and could only appear on Christmas if it snowed. I think. I was rather confused during parts of the story and was really unsure why the two characters were so drawn to one another. And I really didn’t care about them either. 1.5/5

Angels in the Snow by Matt de la Peña

Shy is cat-sitting for someone, but there isn’t much food in the apartment, and he has no money to buy anything. When a neighbor asks for help with a plumbing issue, he offers her the use of the shower at the place he’s staying at. The two grow closer over the next few days, but this was another one where I didn’t get the connection between the two leads. I liked both of them, but I just didn’t feel the chemistry between them. 3/5

Polaris is Where You’ll Find Me by Jenny Han

Natalie was taken in by Santa as a baby and raised as his daughter. She has a crush on an elf, but that elf believes that, as a human, Natalie doesn’t belong in the North Pole and will leave one day. I rather liked this one. It was cute, but ended on a bit of a bittersweet note. 4/5

It’s a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins

This was a cute and funny story about a girl who wants a boy working for a Christmas tree farm to be a voice in a movie she’s making. It all takes place over the course of one night, so the romance is a bit rushed, but it was pretty adorable too. 4.5/5

Your Temporary Santa by David Levithan

A boy pretends to be Santa on Christmas Eve so that his boyfriend’s little sister will keep believing. This started off as pretty cute and funny, but it started to lose its charm at the end. 3/5

Krampuslauf by Holly Black

I was definitely not expecting this story in the book. A group of girls throw a party to reveal the cheating ways of one of the girl’s boyfriends by having him and his other girlfriend attend. Things take a turn for the weird when some unexpected visitors arrive that add a bit of magic to the night. The story was strange, but funny. 4.5/5

What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth? by Gayle Forman

This was a cute story about a scholarship student who has been hating the rural college she chose. After meeting a fellow student over winter break that she connects with, Sophie realizes that she’s been so focused on the negative of her situation that she’s been missing a lot of the good. 4/5

Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus by Myra McEntire

After a prank gone wrong leads to accidental arson, Vaughn is lucky to get community service as his punishment and must help the church put on their Christmas play. On the final day of his community service, he grows close to the pastor’s daughter just as everything starts to go wrong with the play. This was another cute story. 3.5/5

Welcome to Christmas, CA by Kiersten White

A waitress wants out of the small town she’s stuck in and feels like she’s been losing her mom over the years. I wasn’t very interested in her budding relationship with the new cook, but I did like her realization that she’s been misunderstanding things with her family and working to fix that. And I liked the side plot with the fellow waitress who is stuck in an abusive relationship. 3/5

Star of Bethlehem by Ally Carter

Lydia makes a sudden decision to trade plane tickets with an Icelandic exchange student who wants to go to New York. She then pretends to be that girl and stays with her host family while she tries to run away from her problems. This story just asked me to suspend my disbelief way more than I was able to by the end. The relationships and the plot felt incredibly rushed. 2/5

The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

This was a rather strange one taking place in a completely different world following a girl who doesn’t want to get married to the creepy preacher courting her who has outlived several wives. She asks a magical creature known as the dreamer for help. The story started out interesting, but I just began to lose my interest as it continued. 2.5/5