Wytches

Wytches Volume 1 - Scott Snyder, Jock

After two awful events, the Rooks family is looking to start over in a new town. Unfortunately, the town they've chosen, Litchfield, holds greater horrors for their family. Their daughter, Sailor, has been chosen as the next sacrifice to the evil that lives there, and they will not be denied.

I can't say I truly enjoyed this, but that's largely my fault. I picked this book up because I had liked the author's work on Batman and was curious to read something he had total control over. I didn't know anything else about the book, which turned out to not be a smart move on my part. I didn't realize this was a horror book, and I started reading this at night when I was alone. I'm very bad with scary things.

It definitely succeeded in the horror department for me, but that might be because I'm not so great with it. The art was perfect for the book, particularly the coloring. It set up a creepy atmosphere and maintained that sense of something being off throughout the story.

The plot wasn't the most unique—family moves to a small, remote town trying to start over only to face horrors worse than what they left behind. But it kept me interested in the characters and seeing what was going to happen next. I liked the daughter best, although her strange name, Sailor, was a bit distracting at first. And I kept thinking she was older than she actually is. But with some of the things she had to deal with in life, it's not hard to believe she'd be older than her years in some aspects.

The ending did intrigue me enough to want to know where this is going. And I'll actually be better prepared for that one.