Ms. Marvel, Vol. 6: Civil War II

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 6: Civil War II - G. Willow Wilson, Takeshi Miyazawa, Adrian Alphona

I was a bit leery going into this despite loving the Ms. Marvel series. And that's because this volume is the Civil War II tie-in. I just don't particularly like big crossovers that have heroes fighting other heroes usually for an incredibly ridiculous reason. Which is basically what Civil War II has sounded like. And this book did nothing to convince me otherwise.

The first issue was fine. Kamala and friends face off against Spider-Man (Miles) and friends when their schools compete in an academic competition. This kind of hero vs. hero battle I enjoy. They weren't trying to harm each other over something ridiculous. It was just a bunch of kids competing over science in the hopes of scholarships. With a bit of superhero saving the day at the end.

Then the Civil War II crossover began. When Kamala first gets with Captain Marvel about the Inhuman, Ulysses, who has visions of future catastrophes, she likes the idea of being able to prevent tragedies from happening. The first mission was fine when Kamala led her newly assigned team of teen heroes against a villain who had stolen a tank and was destroying a bunch of cars as he drove it through the streets. Ulysses had a vision that the guy would accidentally activate a self-destruct sequence on the tank and destroy a good portion of the city. It was a pretty straightforward mission. The guy had already committed a crime and done quite a bit of damage, but they were able to stop him from killing anyone.

But then things got a bit confusing to me. When a news report came on about it, Kamala's sister-in-law speaks out against the man being arrested for a crime he didn't commit. I didn't understand that because he absolutely did commit a crime. Several, in fact. He stole a tank and then destroyed a lot of cars driving it through the city. When he was first shown driving the tank, the street behind him was filled with crushed cars. Tyesha had a great speech about profiling and I agreed with what she was saying. I just didn't understand why that particular criminal prompted it because he definitely had committed crimes. And then he appeared again in the next issue and I understood why he prompted that speech, but didn't understand what Kamala and her team were doing. He was being detained in a prison run by Kamala's team, not for the crimes he did commit, but for the potential crime of blowing up part of the city. I don't get why they didn't send him to a real jail since he no longer had the tank to blow up the city, but definitely did commit crimes with the tank. But everyone kept acting like he hadn't actually committed a crime yet and was only being held for the potential one. It just made no sense to me.

Then the next vision leads to someone Kamala knows getting thrown in their prison. This made more sense for the story they were trying to tell since the guy hadn't committed a crime yet when he was detained. Kamala's friends had some great arguments against what was happening, and it was nice to see Kamala struggle with the morality of what they were doing. But it was also frustrating because her team was awful with what they were doing. They would just grab anyone who was supposed to commit a crime and lock them up in a building they controlled and treat them all horribly. It hard to believe that all the superheroes would just let them do what they were doing. Based on this little bit, I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy any other Civil War II material I read.

And these issues also left me wondering where in the world Bruno's girlfriend had gone. She was in the academic competition one and that's it. Which was weird with what Bruno was doing during all the tie-in issues. Her absence really stood out to me.

Things got better with the final issue of the book though. Kamala left the US to visit family in Pakistan and regroup. It was a nice break from the rest of the book and gives me hope the next volume will be better now that it's past Civil War II.