Goldie Vance, Vol. 1

Goldie Vance Vol. 1 - Hope Larson, Brittney Williams

I grew up on Nancy Drew, so when this book kept getting comparisons to that, I knew I had to read it. It did not disappoint.

Goldie loves solving mysteries and has decided to assist the detective at the hotel she works with his cases. She's just adorable and determined to help people in need. And her love of cars, particularly when it comes to racing them, had me smiling several times.

The books got a fun cast of characters. I especially liked Goldie's best friend whose scientific knowledge helped Goldie crack a case and Goldie's crush, Diane, who has a very cute budding romance with Goldie. I want to see more of all of them.

The only part of the book that I didn't love was the resolution to the mystery.

A couple of mysterious people from an organization no one has heard of appear to tell the scientist in trouble that he should come with them to live on Mars if he wants to be free. And the scientist just goes with them. He's just escaped from being held against his will for some time. But a group a people he's never met before appear and say he should come with them and he just trusts them immediately and goes? If I were in his shoes, I don't think I'd be so quick to go with them. It just struck me as a weird move for someone in his situation. Then again, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about that resolution when I was a kid.

(show spoiler)

Despite the minor issue I had with how the mystery ended, I still loved the book. It was fun, and the characters were great. I will definitely be reading more of the series.