Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy

Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy - Chynna Clugston-Flores, Rosemary Valero-O'Connell, Maddi Gonzalez, Whitney Cogar

As a fan of both Lumberjanes and Gotham Academy, this was a crossover I was looking forward to. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a letdown. It was still an enjoyable read, just not quite as much as I'd hoped.

The cover of the book is beautiful. I was hoping it would be representative of the art inside, but it definitely is not. The story's art isn't bad, but it's much simpler. That style suits the Lumberjane girls, but not the Gotham Academy kids. A good chunk of the story takes place in a cabin where a group of people are being kept. When all the kids went there to rescue them, I had a hard time telling the Gotham Academy kids apart from the people they were rescuing. Except Olive. She was very easy because no one else had white hair. But there were several times when someone was talking and it took me a bit to figure out if it was a character from Gotham Academy or a new character. Pom and Maps gave me the most problems with this after everyone was forced into new outfits. I didn't have any problems recognizing any of the Lumberjanes though.

Since this was a crossover between two series featuring groups, the book had a lot of characters to juggle. While they made sure everyone contributed in some way, there really wasn't enough space for everyone to get some focus, leaving a number of the main cast feeling like secondary characters. It was just too many characters for so short of a book once you throw in all the new characters in the cabin.

The story felt more like a Lumberjanes story than a Gotham Academy one with it being set in the woods and featuring mystical creatures, but that's not a bad thing for me since I love their adventures. It was a fun story, and the cast was pretty adorable together. It just wasn't everything I hoped for.