Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Who is Oracle?

Batgirl And The Birds Of Prey Vol. 1: Who Is Oracle? (Rebirth) (Batgirl and the Birds of Prey (Rebirth)) - Shawna Benson, Julie Benson, Claire Roe

I wanted to love this because Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress were finally back together as the Birds of Prey, but this book just lacked the fun of the previous runs. The three are very different characters from what they once were due to the changes they’ve undergone. They lack the chemistry they once had. They just felt forced together simply because they’re the original team. I couldn’t see why they’d want to work together. It just didn’t feel like a natural team-up.

The problem I had was that the book didn’t do much to make me connect emotionally to the characters. And the changes made to them have made them different characters from the ones I used to know, so I don’t have those connections carrying over from previous series. Huntress discovers one of the villains they’re facing is her mother who she thought was murdered, but watching her discover part of her life was a lie didn’t draw any reaction from me. And I’m not excited about the new character introduced to team up with the Birds of Prey. I just found him irritating.

Rather than getting me excited for the next book, this made me want to get back to reading the older Birds of Prey books.