Justice League Vol. 2: Outbreak

Justice League Vol. 2: Outbreak (Rebirth) - Bryan Hitch

This volume starts off in the middle of a battle between the Justice League and some kind of being that spreads fear. After the team seemingly defeats it, they all split off only to get hit again with the fear causing everyone to lash out in different ways. Aquaman and Wonder Woman decide to conquer the world together to save everyone. Superman decides he must kill Batman. Cyborg and Baz lash out at those around them during a friendly football game between friends out of fear of being rejected for being different. While on a date together, Flash starts acting like a jerk to everyone and Jessica locks herself in the restaurant freezer to shut out the world. After some painful dialogue from everyone as they fight off the fear, Jessica decides to quit the Justice League because she feels she isn't ready for this. And that's the only consequence we see from this little arc in the rest of the book. Nothing is mentioned about Aquaman and Wonder Woman's declaring of war. No damage control for any of the public breakdowns some of the heroes had. I just have to wonder what the point of it all was.

It just feels like the book is going for emotional payoffs that it hasn't put any effort into building toward. Jessica suddenly asking Flash out wasn't the result of a building relationship between the two. Her choice to quit the team due to feelings of inadequacy felt abrupt. This is supposed to be a team book, but there's not any focus on how they are as a team. The fear arc feels like it should come after work has been put into establishing everyone much better as characters and team mates. An arc exposing the cracks in the team doesn't pack much of a punch if I haven't really gotten a good idea of what the team is like together. And it especially doesn't pack a punch if all consequences of the arc are then ignored. The end of the book even lessened the impact of Jessica quitting by having her join in the big battle of the next arc and saying she'll always be there to help. So she'll fight with the team still, but just won't say she's on the team.

The second arc in this volume started off with a premise that I found hard to buy. Apparently the giant world-wide crisis of the previous volume that they had such a difficult time with only had a single casualty. I don't understand how only a single person died from all of that. And then we get a computer virus so great it can hack into anything including Cyborg and Baz's ring. I'll admit the Lantern Corps is an area I'm not as familiar with, but I really didn't think their rings could be infected with a computer virus. Is that something I just completely missed? Because it just seems really ridiculous. I don't like it.

And the whole virus ends up being an accident by a girl who just wanted to make a better search engine and ended up with an app that could take on the Justice League without even trying for that. And they needed her help the take care of the problem in the end.

(show spoiler)

There were just too many elements of the story I was questioning for me to enjoy it. And it didn't have any good character moments to make up for things.

This Justice League run is not impressing me. The first volume was boring. This one was just painful.