Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Year One

Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Year One (Rebirth) - Greg Rucka

Despite a disappointing start to Wonder Woman's new run, I had hope the series would improve. And that hope was rewarded with the very next book. As the title of the book suggests, this volume takes us back to Wonder Woman's origins. It starts prior to Steve Trevor's arrival and gives us a glimpse of her life on Themyscira and her curiosity about the world beyond. We also see parallels between her life with the Amazons and Steve's life with his fellow soldiers prior to their first meeting.

While I've read Diana's origin story a number of times now, stories like this are why I've yet to grow tired of it. I am so glad the Amazons were back to wonderful, fierce, non-rapist selves in this run. I loved Diana's relationship with her mother and their love for one another. And, although we didn't see much of her, I liked the fact that Diana had a lover on Themyscira, even though Diana's sense of duty and desire to see the world ultimately meant that they couldn't last.

Barbara Ann Minerva and Etta Candy played just as big of a role as Steve did in introducing Diana to man's world once she arrived. All three of them were fun to watch as they worked together to try to figure out how to help Diana adapt. They had a nice dynamic. And it looked like Barbara and Etta were flirting with one another by the end of the volume which was very cute.

But it was Wonder Woman who was my favorite here. She was sweet, fierce, loving, strong, determined, and brave. Diana had moments of doubt about her choice to come when she was detained shortly after bringing Steve home, but a visit from the gods who bestow gifts upon her convinces her that she did the right thing. Her joy at this was charming to read. Seeing her delight at the world, even with all the misunderstandings, is just so nice. She's fun to watch discover the world.

Also, the art in this book is gorgeous. Every page looks amazing.

After a few years of reading books where Wonder Woman just didn't feel like Wonder Woman to me, having this book is fantastic. This book captures the heart of the character I love, and I'm so happy for it.