The Last Black Unicorn

The Last Black Unicorn - Tiffany Haddish

I hadn't heard of Tiffany Haddish until she hosted SNL last year. I was immediately charmed by her. She stole every sketch she was in and was absolutely hilarious. When I found out she had a book coming out, I knew I had to read it. Her charm and humor shown through in this book, but it was a hard book to get through at times.

Before she was even an adult, Tiffany Haddish gone through a ridiculous amount of horrible things. And horrible things just kept happening. She was very open about her life, the (many) things done to her, and the mistakes she'd made. It was amazing how she found humor in some of the situations. And her ability to forgive and be kind to those who wronged her is incredible. Tiffany Haddish talked about her interactions with various ex-boyfriends, comedians, and celebrities, but only named names when the interactions were positive. Otherwise, she gave them pseudonyms.

From the very first chapter, it was clear Tiffany is a tough and resourceful person. Really, the whole book showed that. She told her of she got all the way to ninth grade before she learned how to read (and without anyone realizing until then that she couldn't). We learned how she became a pimp for a period of time. And she talked about the struggles of being a woman in comedy.

There's only one chapter that was not funny, which she warned right at the start of it. It was the story of her ex-husband, and it is a difficult one to get through because there are so many warning signs that the relationship was going to be horrible that she missed. And just when it looked like it was over, the story kept going.

Overall, I was incredibly impressed with her. She is funny, clever, tough, kind, and all-around wonderful. Tiffany Haddish is now on my radar for people whose work to make sure I check out. I'll be watching her movie, Girls Trip, just as soon as I can get it from the library, and I look forward to seeing what she does next.