The Demon's Lexicon

The Demon's Lexicon - Sarah Rees Brennan

I wanted to like the book more than I did, although I did still enjoy it.

There are 4 main characters-Nick and Alan, who are brothers, and Jamie and Mae, who are brother and sister. Nick and Alan have been on the run from magicians and demons their whole lives, although Alan, the older brother, still tries to get Nick to have as close to a normal life as possible. And then Jamie and Mae show up. Jamie has been marked for death by a demon, and the siblings were sent to Nick and Alan for help. Nick wants nothing to do with them. Alan wants to help, but there is nothing that he can do. But when Alan gets marked by a demon as well, the brothers end up taking Jamie and Mae along to get help.

The story is told from Nick's point of view. The only person in the world he cares about is his brother, but he doesn't really understand love and affection at all so he doesn't make for the nicest person, even toward his brother. The one emotion he seemed to feel was anger and he felt it often. I liked seeing a bad boy who truly doesn't care about others and doesn't suddenly learn how to love by the end of the book. I'm not sure if that changes in later books, but at least in this one I can appreciate the change of pace.

Alan was another great character. He's the seemingly nice guy who has a lot more going on in his head than you're originally led to believe. And he's a really caring big brother. His relationship with Nick was my favorite part of the book.

Jamie was funny and amused me. He tries to lighten the mood whenever he's nervous or uncomfortable, which is often.

The character I disliked was Mae, which was unfortunate because I wanted to like her. But she reminded me too much of a nosy little kid who wants to be involved in everything, even when she really shouldn't. Early on, the group goes to the Goblin Market, a special market that takes place once a month where one can buy magical items. At the Goblin Market, Nick intends to perform a ritual dance to summon a demon so that he can remove Alan's demon mark since it is at an early stage and can be easily erased, unlike Jamie's mark. Mae and Jamie go with them so that they can ask the summoned demon if it is possible to remove Jamie's mark. The ritual dance that Nick is going to do is stressed as being incredibly dangerous, and just one misstep can result in the demon being unleashed. Nick has done this many times, and he still uses a spell so that Alan can talk to the demon for him while he does the dance because saying the wrong thing can result in a promise with a demon that you really did not want to make. So the entire dance is very dangerous, and you have to be incredibly careful. Mae says she wants to dance too. Nick is understandably against this. The leader of the Goblin Market decides that this is a great idea though and lets Mae do the dance. Not only that, Mae is allowed to speak directly to the demon. If this ritual is supposed to be very dangerous, I do not think having the girl who has never even seen a summoning dance is a good idea. Nor is letting her speak to a demon for the first time ever while under the influence of the special food they have to eat to perform the ritual which lowers their inhibitions.

And Mae's attraction to Nick was frustrating. He was purposefully horrible to her multiple times because he wanted her and Jamie out of his and Alan's life. He's not a good guy and never pretended to be one. Despite this, she kept trying. I wanted her to realize that he was not a good candidate for a romantic relationship and that it was a bad idea. I really do not think a romantic relationship was even needed in this story. The familial relationships were what I would have liked to have been the sole focus. They were the driving force behind the story, and I liked that.

The book was a good read, but it isn't one I loved. If you want to read a story featuring a hero who has the mindset of a villain, then this is a good one to look at.