Just Like Fate

Just Like Fate - Cat Patrick, Suzanne Young

While I like the concept of the book, I didn't exactly like the execution of it. The story follows Caroline whose grandmother gets very sick at the start of the book. Caroline has been living with her grandmother since her parents got divorced, and her grandmother is the most important person in her life. The two different stories start with Caroline's decision of whether or not to go to a party instead of stay by her grandmother's side in the hospital. The story alternates chapters and follows what her life would be like with either choice.

The biggest problem I have with the story is that decision in the first place. Her grandmother has only been in the hospital for three days at that point. I find it very hard to believe that Caroline would have gone to a party after only three days when her grandmother was in such bad shape. I also find it hard to believe that her best friend would have pestered her so much to go in that situation. I could believe it if her grandmother had been there for weeks and Caroline had been spending all her free time just sitting by her grandmother's bedside waiting for her to die. Then I could see her friend saying that she needs to get out for just one night and it being an actual hard decision to make. But three days just didn't seem realistic.

I also wish there had been more focus on Caroline's family than her romantic relationships. I was curious about how her family had fallen apart to the point that they had. We got a vague picture of things, but I really wanted to get more information. I just found her familial relationships to be more intriguing than her romantic ones.

I enjoyed the book over all, but the main decision that it revolved around was ridiculous to me.