The 100

The 100 - Kass Morgan

I decided to read this because it was going to be turned into a TV series on CW. While I think it could make an interesting show, the book wasn't that great. After a nuclear war that made Earth uninhabitable, the remainder of the human race has been living on spaceships. To see if Earth can be recolonized, 100 juvenile delinquents are to be sent to Earth to try. If they succeed, they'll be pardoned. If they fail, they'll die on Earth.

Not much of the world was explained throughout the story, leaving me unsure about how a lot of things work. There's supposed to be an overpopulation problem to the point where a lot (and I do mean a lot) of people are being killed, but I don't even have a good idea of how many people are on the spaceships, how big those spaceships are, how many they're designed to hold, etc. I got random tidbits about the world, but not enough to really give me a decent idea about the structure of anything.

There are four main characters. I despise one of them, Wells, whose obsession with one of the other main characters, Clarke, led him to risk the entire human race's existence after his idiocy got her parents killed and her locked up. I'm pretty sure his actions will result in people's deaths later in the series. Plus, he doesn't listen to her when she tells him to leave her alone. So yeah, not a fan of his. Not that that matters because almost everyone else in the book seemed to be a fan of his, even if they'd never met him before.

I was fairly indifferent to Glass, one of the four. So I only had an interest in half of the main characters, meaning half of the book left me disinterested or angry depending on whether it was Glass or Wells' chapter. Clarke and Bellamy were more interesting to me, probably because they actually cared about people other than love interests.

There was far more romance than I expected in the book, to the point where everything else about the story came second. 100 teens sent to Earth to find out whether it's livable or not? Love triangle between some of the teens gets more focus than them trying to survive. People on the space station getting killed off? Focus goes to how it affects the romances of the teens. Corrupt government endangering the lower classes? Look at how it gets in the way of two lovers!

The premise of the story was interesting, but it seemed to have been thrown away in favor of tons of romantic drama. And I just couldn't find it in me to care about that. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it just focused on Clarke and Bellamy.