Seraphina

Seraphina - Rachel Hartman

It's been almost 40 years since the peace treaty between dragons and humans was signed in the kingdom of Goredd. Dragons have the ability to transform into humans, and quite a few have joined society as ambassadors, scholars, and teachers, but many humans continue to view dragons as soulless beasts. As the anniversary of the treaty's signing approaches, bringing the leader of the dragons to the castle to celebrate, Seraphina, a girl who works at the castle, discovers signs of a plot to destroy the already fragile peace. If she wants to save the kingdom, she must try to discover who is behind the plot. But Seraphina has a secret that could mean her life if it is discovered.

I absolutely adored this book. Seraphina was such an interesting character, and I found myself drawn to her immediately. Unlike a lot of protagonists in books I've read lately, I didn't find myself wondering what the heck she was doing. I could actually understand her, which I really wish wasn't such a change of pace for me. I loved the other characters as well and their relationships with one another.

I loved this take on dragons. They're very logical and don't really experience emotions, which leads to some great interactions between dragons and human because of the misunderstandings.

And the balance the book struck with romance and the overall plot was great. It had romance, but the characters were far more focused on the impending disaster. I really wish that happened in more books.

Seraphina was just a really fun read, and I'm looking forward to the next book.