The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules  - Julie Kagawa

Allison Sekemoto has hated vampires her whole life. They rule her city, but leaving the city runs the risk of being attacked by rabids, bloodthirsty creatures that are the result of a disease that killed off most of the human population decades ago. But when Allison is fatally injured, a vampire offers her a chance to continue life as a vampire. When she and her maker are attacked, she must leave the city to survive. There she runs into a group of humans searching for Eden, a city that is supposed to be free of vampires and rabids. But travelling with humans is difficult when Allison must hide her secret and fight the urge to feed on them.

I'm a sucker for vampires. I love them and am always willing to give a book with vampires a try. Sadly, quite a few vampire books don't live up to my hopes. Thankfully, this is not one of them. The vampires here are bloodthirsty for humans, and there's no getting around by drinking animal blood. Allison's maker, Kanin, was very clear from the start that Allison will become a monster no matter what; she just has to decide what kind of monster she will be. Watching Allison struggle to maintain her humanity was a lot of fun, especially when everyone around her believed vampires to be soulless beasts, meaning no matter what she did, people would think the worst of her if they knew what she was.

My biggest complaint about the book was Ruth a.k.a. the mean girl that hates Allison on sight because she views her as a romantic threat. Throughout the book she was horrible to Allison for no reason, despite first meeting her after Allison protected Ruth's little brother. I'm getting really tired of there always being a mean girl who hates the main character for no reason other than she's a 'threat' when it comes to some guy. It's just ridiculous, particularly here. Ruth was horribly shallow and awful, and she didn't even know Allison was a vampire when she did some of the things like lying to the rest of the group in an attempt to get them to leave without Allison. I wasn't even surprised when

Ruth died without ever changing her tune.

(show spoiler)

I really loved Kanin though and wished that he was around for more of the book than he was. I'm hoping there will be a lot more of him in the next book because he's the kind of morally ambiguous character that I love. He can and will do bad things without complaint, but he isn't needlessly cruel or evil. And most importantly, he doesn't try to act like he's a good guy or convince others that he is a good guy.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Immortal Rules and am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.