Dark Lover

Dark Lover - J.R. Ward

I decided to read Dark Lover on a whim after hearing a bit about books later in the series that intrigued me. I love vampire books, and one with vampires versus slayers as part of the plot where both romantic leads are vampires is not something I see often. Reading this book turned out to be a brilliant decision on my part.

Wrath is the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, a group of vampire warriors who protect other vampires from slayers. When a member of the group dies, Wrath is left to fulfill his last request of protecting his daughter, Beth, who has no idea that she's a vampire.

While certainly being dark at times and not shying away from murder, torture, sexual assault, etc., Dark Lover was a lot of fun to read. The names of the vampires were amusing with characters named things like Wrath, Rhage, Vishous, Zsadist, Phury, and Tohrment. There were plenty of witty lines that made me laugh. The world and the characters had my interest almost immediately. I liked how side characters had depth, which is something I've missed in a lot of the books I've read recently. Part of this is probably the fact that each book in The Black Dagger Brotherhood series revolves around different characters. Since each character will get their chance in the spotlight, it makes sense that a lot of thought has been put into their personalities and backgrounds.

I ended up enjoying this book so much more than I expected and was sorry to see it end. Luckily for me, there are quite a few books in the series.