Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

Jacob's been hearing stories from his grandfather about his adventure-filled childhood his entire life. He just doesn't believe the more fantastic elements of the stories. At least until he sees a monster firsthand. Now Jacob is unsure what to believe, but a trip to the orphanage where his grandfather once lived just might hold the answers. The orphanage may be in ruins, but Jacob is about to learn that things aren't always what they appear to be.

I was expecting this book to be pretty creepy based on the cover, description, and pictures featured throughout the book, and the opening pages definitely set that tone. However, the rest of the book failed to deliver on that creepiness. The book was pretty clearly written around the photographs seen in the book, and, while I like that idea in theory, I didn't like it in practice here. There were multiple pictures that had no relevance to the plot. A pair of creepy twins were pictured twice, but ultimately played no role in the story. It felt like every picture had to be thrown in, regardless of its relevance to the plot, which made things drag at times. The book could have been cut down without any change to the overall story.

The ideas behind the plot and the "peculiar" children were intriguing, but the focus of things was on Jacob, who I did not find very interesting. His grandfather, who isn't present for most of the book, was a far more interesting character. In fact, almost everyone was more interesting than the main character, Jacob.

The pacing was also a bit off for me. When the book wasn't dragging, things suddenly felt rushed. The romance felt very rushed. The ending suddenly threw in all the action that had been missing from the rest of the book.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children wasn't a bad book. It just wasn't one that drew me in either.