Immortal Beloved

Immortal Beloved - Cate Tiernan

Nastasya (or Nasty) is an immortal. And she's spent the last century or so of her life partying with a group of fellow immortals. And none of them are particularly great people. But when her best friend uses magic to break a man's back, Nasty starts to reevaluate her life choices. Almost a century ago, another immortal, River, offered her a place to stay if she ever decided that she wanted more out of life than partying. Nasty's finally ready to take her up on that offer. Once she arrives, she finds that River's place is a like an immortal rehab, and there are a number of other immortals there as well, including Reyn, a tall, blonde immortal who looks familiar to Nasty.

Nasty's nickname is certainly appropriate when we first meet her. She and her friends have no regard for anyone other than themselves and just aren't good people. It takes a pretty big moment to kick Nasty out of that lifestyle, but once she gets out to River's place, watching her develop is great. She becomes a better person during her time there, but she can still be petty and cruel at times, which she acknowledges and is working on. I liked the fact that, while she got much better, she didn't magically become super sweet all the time. She's not perfect, and sometimes Nasty's going to choose to be petty rather than turn the other cheek. She knows when she's being mean, but does it anyways, and that's something I can understand and appreciate in a character.

The part that really sold me on this book was how being an immortal affects everyone. Living forever can cause a big disconnect between immortals and humans, particularly when immortals have loved ones and children that they have to watch grow old and die. Being born in different time periods also means they grew up with different morals than the present day and adjusting to changing times can be incredibly difficult for immortals. The more you see of Nasty's past, the easier it is to see how she became the person she was at the start of the story.

There is a bigger plot that is hinted at throughout the book, getting more fleshed out near the end that connects to events in Nasty's past. The mystery there is intriguing, and I'm interested to see how things play out later in the series with Nasty.

The book's writing is fairly chatty with plenty of slang thrown into the narration, which is a style I like to listen to as an audiobook. Since I did listen to this one, I can't say how I would like it in print.

Immortal Beloved was a fun read for me, and I look forward to seeing what's next in Nasty's journey.