Legend

Legend - Marie Lu

June is a fifteen-year-old prodigy destined for a high position in the Republic's military. Day, also fifteen, is the Republic's most wanted criminal. When June's brother is murdered in a confrontation with Day during a robbery, June becomes determined to capture Day. While June hunts for Day, Day is trying to find a way to help his family. And the two of them are about to discover that not everything is at it seems with the government and each other.

While a fast read, Legend was fairly predictable. If you're familiar with dystopian books, the plot twists are pretty easy to call well in advance. That doesn't make it a bad book. I still enjoyed reading it, but there was nothing that really surprised me. But there were still plenty of elements of the story left to be revealed later in the series, so perhaps there will be something less predictable later on.

I listened to the audiobook of this, so when the book switched perspectives between June and Day, it was very easy to tell due to the switch between a female and male voice. I'm not sure how easy it would be to tell the difference if I had been reading a print version. They were very similar in the way they thought and acted.

June and Day also came across as older than they actually are. As I read, I kept forgetting that they're only fifteen because they just never sounded or acted like it. They're also much better than everyone else due to them both being prodigies, meaning there is a serious lack of competent adults in the book. June and Day required some suspension of disbelief for me, which I was mostly able to do.

Legend was enjoyable though. It's short and fast-paced so it never dragged for me. While predictable, the plot wasn't boring and was able to keep my interest enough to make me curious to see what's next for June and Day.